Wednesday, August 22, 2012

John murray classes week of August 27, 2012

It's the last week of Summer term. What a great studio experience this has been for me!
The summer evenings in that studio resonate with a quiet creative energy. Some excellent work has been done.
This summer I've been reading "Finnegan's Wake" by James Joyce. I've read all his other work over the last 50 years, but have always been unable to deal with the postmodern experimental language conceits of this work, so I'm trying again. This time I'm enjoying it in small doses. Below is a portrait of Joyce I did a few years ago and an excerpt form the novel. The going can be rough, but the pay-off in humor and profundity is there for the patient reader. If you're up for a challenge to close the term read the excerpt and try your hand at a visual response. see you next week, john.

O here here how hoth sprowled met the
duskt the father of fornicationists but, (O my shining stars and
body!) how hath fanespanned most high heaven the skysign of
soft advertisement! But was iz? Iseut? Ere were sewers? The oaks
of ald now they lie in peat yet elms leap where askes lay. Phall if
you but will, rise you must: and none so soon either shall the
pharce for the nunce come to a setdown secular phoenish.

No comments:

Post a Comment