Friday, February 7, 2014

John Murray classes week of February 10, 2014


We missed Wednesday classes on the 5th because of more damn snow!
So with the realization that we are maybe living in the Artic Circle, I thought that it would be appropriate to use an Inuit object to inspire us next week. Above is one of my favorite objects of all cultures: snow goggles carved from walrus bone by an unknown Inuit craftsman.
I first saw one of these 40 years ago in the New Bedford Whaling Museum and never forgot them.
Like a vintage Porsche or a Ferrari California coupe, these seem to me a profound solution to travel (in this case in blinding snow). Beautiful, personal and ingenious.
Try a minimal painting or plaster and paper assemblage, that takes its concept visually from these.
Don't forget my Winter Abstract/Figure/Landscape on Saturday the 8th from 1 to 6 pm.
See you next week, John.

No comments:

Post a Comment