Friday, October 2, 2015

John Murray classes week of October 5,2015



Last Wednesday when leaving NAC I noticed a broken mirror covered in rocks and dirt lying in a box on the back steps in the rain reflecting the weird early evening light of a stormy Autumn day.
I shot a picture of the piece and thought about how much of a painter's situation it presented.
The high-key white background the warm and cool neutrals and the drawing-like details...
so that is the problem: how would you deal with these elements in an abstract painting?
The piece below is a painting I did last Spring as a demonstration in class and it also is working with black/white/neutrals...work on a ground of sharp white glossy... play with the gray scale on your palette!
My figure class starts next Friday, it is open to drop in artists from 1-4 pm...we have a male model and will be channeling the the Bay Area Figurative movement for those who want an art historical reference point!
See you next week. John.

1 comment:

  1. too good to resist! I miss the ambience of the group--your group. I enjoy staying out of my head in your group. Hope to make the drop in male model next friday though I think that's the long weekend. I get so much from the space with you/all.

    ReplyDelete